Impact Hub Baltimore advances equity and addresses our city’s complex challenges by building an innovative local economy that shifts patterns of access and opportunity to those who need it. Founded in 2015, our organization has matured from its start-up phase to become a community-centered institution. We value the perspective of all Baltimore residents, and we engage in deep listening to guide meaningful action. Our coworking space and our programming supports visionary leaders who are committed to strengthening our city, changing its systems, and reinvesting in people and places that have been historically underinvested. We are proud to support hundreds of entrepreneurs each year.
We are a nonprofit social enterprise with an operating budget of $1M in the fiscal year 2022. Earned revenue from coworking memberships, office leasing, and event bookings represent one quarter of our budget and sustain our core operations. General operating grants from local foundations represent another quarter of funding. The remaining 50% of our budget comes from grants and contracts to execute programs, and technical assistance for small businesses.
Impact Hub Baltimore is also part of a global Impact Hub network, a dynamic partner network, and a community of social innovators and entrepreneurs who commit daily to building a more just and joyful economy. We believe it takes a multitude of voices and skills to address the complex issues we see around us every day.
The Operations Director is one of three roles that will serve as co-leaders of Impact Hub Baltimore, stewarding the organization into its next phase of maturity, growth, and community impact. This person will build on IHB’s strong foundation by leading the organization in the areas of Business & Finance, Member Events, Interests and Engagement, and Building Space & Technology.
In partnership with the Strategy Director and the Network Director, the Operations Director will collaborate across org-wide functional areas, including strategic planning, board / advisory board relations, team culture, financial and budget strategy and development, member engagement and member-informed decision-making, and ecosystem, communications and programmatic strategy. This collaboration will contribute to structures of accountability, transparency, and shared decision-making that will respond to the needs of our team, our community, and our stakeholders.
The Operations Director will share accountability for the health and sustainability of the organization with the Strategy Director and the Network Director, and all three directors will report to one another.
We are looking for a capable decision maker who loves working with both numbers and people. This role will hold primary and ultimate responsibility for the organization’s finances and lead strategic decision making that will ensure Impact Hub Baltimore’s financial stability. This person will also oversee and manage Impact Hub’s physical structure so that its daily operations run smoothly. Finally, the Operations Director will lead and oversee all member events, outreach, and engagements.
- In partnership with the Strategy Director and the Network Director, the Operations Director will be jointly responsible and accountable for the overall health, sustainability, growth and vision of IHB. This person will be a thought partner in the areas of vision, talent, organizational development, programming, and communications, as well as the organization’s place in the ecosystem.
- In partnership with the other Co-Leaders, the Operations Director will co-create effective communication flows across functional areas within the organization, particularly in the areas of space and technology, members, and business/finance.
- In partnership with the other Co-Leaders, the Operations Director will co-lead processes related to Impact Hub’s systems, governance, and decision-making.
Business & Finance
- Provide strategic leadership for Impact Hub Baltimore’s accounting and finance functions including forecasting, budget management and strategy, reporting, review, and auditing.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting, with keen understanding of deferred revenue and the associated reconciliation process. Achieve organizational sustainability goals by streamlining funding and assets.
- Supervise team members responsible for accounts payable/receivable, rent collections, budget administration, member expenses, vendor management, and supply management.
- Conduct ongoing financial controls assessments, ensuring that all accounting, bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable, and bank reconciliations are in accordance with global accounting principles.
- Budget for new positions in collaboration with co-directors to ensure that the staffing is appropriate to support the organization’s growth. Forecast salaries.
- Lead the process of IHB’s transition from a fiscal sponsor to an independent structure. File legal, tax, and regulatory documents to ensure organizational compliance with regulations.
- In partnership with the Strategy Director, co-lead grants management activities. Submit grants financial reporting for various funding streams and governance structures..
- Develop contracts and monitor contracts administration.
Membership, Events & Engagement
- Provide oversight for coworking memberships, event bookings, and public engagements. Supervise team members and guide processes regarding managing office tenants, member onboarding, member relations, and member management.
- Ensure seamless day to day operations for members and guests who use Impact Hub’s space. Lead the operations team to manage and address building, supply, and technological needs.
- Explore and implement models of shared ownership and resource management (e.g. worker-ownership, member ownership, and community-managed funds). Streamline programming portfolio for established and emerging entrepreneurs.
- Lead member engagement. Explore models of member-led decision making, resource development, and information sharing. Share outcomes/new initiatives with co-directors.
- Champion the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias.
Space & Technology
- Facilitate space use management, including building management relations and leasing.
- Ensure security and safety of Impact Hub space, community, and equipment.
- Manage internet and computer systems including maintenance, operations, and purchasing. Provide technological support including AV upgrades for Impact Hub team and members.
- Sustain inventory of office equipment and furniture. Provide maintenance, repair, replacement, and/or disposal of items as needed and in collaboration with the operations team.
The Right Person
- You are passionate about Baltimore and are local to the area. You want to serve the city and its people. You are excited about working in and for an organization that is committed to equity and civic wealth.
- You have several years of substantial experience leading the finances of an organization with at least a two million dollar budget. You are adept at dealing with multiple-revenue streams including foundation relations and grants management, You have performed forecasting, budget management and strategy, reporting, review, and internal auditing functions.
- You know how to manage organizational cash flow and forecasting, with an in-depth understanding of deferred revenue and the associated reconciliation process.
- You understand how to navigate contracts, manage and maintain building spaces, and you have a keen eye for all things technology.
- You have managed a team of at least three people.
- You are a clear, open, and positive communicator who consistently delivers on promises and inspires progress. You enjoy both “behind the scenes” and “in front of the scenes” work.
- You are committed to being part of a co-leadership model, and co-developing how this model will evolve as the organization shifts.
- You know how to motivate a diverse team through periods of complexity and growth.
The compensation range is $85,000-$95,000 with full benefits. This is a hybrid role where you can expect to be in the office three days a week. Occasional nights and weekends required. Your first 90 days will be predominantly in the office.
Candidates are invited to express interest in the position by emailing a resume and individualized cover letter to [email protected] for Operations Director. Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining why you believe you are a fit for the role, as well as sharing with us what you love about Baltimore.
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. We will screen and interview qualified candidates throughout February and March with a target start date of April 10, 2024.